Monday, October 18, 2010

What's For Dinner This Week?

In an effort to save money and get our eating habits back on track after the wedding, we are cooking and eating at home again. For awhile cooking at home meant cereal or sandwiches or restaurant leftovers.

But now we are back on track.

Over the past week or so we've:
  • made two different homemade chilis (one spicy with meat and one mild with TVP)
  • grilled out hamburgers/chicken breasts/veggie burgers
  • made homemade split pea soup in the crock pot (DID YOU KNOW? Split pea soup is not made with garden peas. Otherwise I would not eat it because peas are EWWWWW. ;) It's a lentil soup and it's very good for you...lots o fiber and protein.)
  • made homemade super simple pasta sauce (can of tomatoes, butter, one onion cooked for about an hour)
  • used the leftover noodles for baked spaghetti
  • eaten wings (ok, these were not made at home or eaten at home, but they were half price)
This week I plan to make:
  • tuna cakes with tatsoi and wild rice or brown rice
  • scrambled eggs with purslane (I just got purslane in my Papa Spuds order. I ordered it without a clue as to what it was so that I could try something new. Apparently it's a weed that can be added to soups or stews or eaten raw in salad. I found a cool recipe for Mexican eggs with purslane that I'm going to try.)
  • butternut squash soup with homemade croutons
And that's all I've got so far. Any other suggestions?

If you need further information about any of the recipes or ingredients I have mentioned here, please let me know!

I'll be sure to post pics and let ya know how the purslane turns out!

2 comments:

  1. B and I had Ami's bean burgers last night... they were pretty good. I'd definitely eat them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool!

    In my experience the best way to eat frozen veggie burgers is to warm them up in the microwave first, then either grill them (if they are firmer and can stand on the grill) or saute them in a pan (if they are softer) until they are browned and crispy.

    ReplyDelete