Thursday, October 22, 2009

Vegetable of the Month: Rhizomes

According to the CDC's website on nutrition, the vegetable for October is (are?) rhizomes.

What are rhizomes? I'm glad you asked.

Rhizomes = Gingerroot, Galangal, Tumeric

Honestly, I have no idea what galangal is. But I have used gingerroot and tumeric in many recipes. In fact, two nights ago I made greens with a soy and ginger sauce (see recipe below). Even if you don't typically like greens, I would highly recommend trying this easy recipe. For mine, I used Tatsoi...but you could use spinach, kale, or any green leafy you like, except maybe turnip greens or collards.

Where/how do you buy/cook with gingerroot?

I buy mine as needed at my local grocery store. It's usually near the garlic in the produce section. The pieces tend to be much larger than what you need, so don't be shy about breaking off a small piece. Usually all you need for a recipe is a piece about the size of your thumb. It's priced by the pound, and should only cost you about $.15.

When you get it home, peel it, chop it up and toss it into your new favorite recipe.

Soy & Ginger Greens
In a small bowl combine the following:
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon rice wine vinegar (you can use other vinegars as well, so use what you have on hand)
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons lime or lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons fresh ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne or a dash of hot sauce (optional)
Saute the greens in a hot pan with a dash of EVOO or cooking spray just until wilted. Add the contents of the bowl and stir gently. Allow to heat through, then serve!

1 comment:

  1. The is so great Jenelle. I have definitly added it to my favorites.
    Amanda Keith

    ReplyDelete