Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Re Sip P : Canned Junk Cakes aka Tuna Cakes

Per my previous post, I hate canned tuna. When my Dad was single he made tuna noodle casserole for my sister and I every time we came to stay with him. To this day, we both hate the dish.

So I didn't touch a can again until I came across a recipe for "spicy" tuna cakes that doesn't include mayo. (Mayo is half the reason I won't touch tuna salad and the like.) I've since changed a few things to make it my own and I often change it up with different ingredients for something different. I invite you to do the same.

This recipe is:
  • CHEAP
  • EASY
  • HEALTHY
  • QUICK
In fact, this is one of my go-to recipes when I need to make a quick dinner.

Ok, are you ready for it? Are you on the edge of your seat? Ok.....drumroll please.

Tuna Cakes

You will need:
  • One can of tuna (any kind) packed in water.
  • One egg or the equivalent of egg substitute
  • One small onion or half an onion (this you can adjust for your own taste)
  • About a tablespoon of green pepper
  • About a cup of breadcrumbs (try the seasoned ones for extra flavor, but stay away from panko)
  • Any herbs you have on hand, fresh or dried
  • A tad of cayenne
  • S & P
  • Oil for cooking (a few tablespoons of any variety, although I would recommend not EVOO (although I often use EVOO because I always have it on hand)) (())()()))((( Ok, no more parentheses. ;)
To make:
  1. Open the can of tuna and drain
  2. Place the tuna in a bowl
  3. Add the egg to the bowl
  4. Dice the onion and pepper...you want these fairly small or the cakes will fall apart...but they don't have to be miniscule
  5. Put the onion and pepper in the bowl
  6. Chop your fresh herbs and add to the bowl (a small handful total) or sprinkle your dried herbs in (about a tablespoon total if dried), along with S & P, cayenne and any other seasonings you want to try.
  7. Mix ingredients in the bowl with a fork so they are relatively well distributed (it will be quite liquidy at this point)
  8. Add breadcrumbs, about a quarter of a cup at a time and mix as you go. I don't actually know how much to add, it always depends on the batch and I never measure. I just add some, stir and mix, and then add more until the mixture is no longer liquidy and can easily be formed into patties. A cup should be sufficient, but play with this a bit.
  9. Heat some oil in a saute pan. I like to start with a tablespoon heated over medium high.
  10. While your pan is heating, use your hands to form patties like a hamburger.
  11. As the patties are ready and the pan is hot (you know its hot and ready when the oil shimmers and runs around the pan like water), place a few patties in.
  12. Allow the patties to brown but not burn on one side then flip. Allow them to brown on the other side. These cook quickly and tend to burn, so keep an eye on them. If you find them starting to burn, turn down your heat or add a bit more oil. I also like to pick the pan up off the stove and shake it a bit to make sure no patties are sticking and to distribute the oil around the pan.
  13. Once they are lightly browned on both sides they are done! Remove from pan with a spatula and place on a plate with a paper towel. (This allows any excess oil to drain off, which is better for you and prevents soggy patties.)
  14. Serve! I like them plain or with a little sauce such as cocktail, chutney, etc. Try with your favorite.
This makes about 4 patties. I serve two per person with a side of veggies for a quick, healthy dinner.

As I said, you can play with this recipe to suit your needs. You can leave out any of the ingredients except the egg, tuna and breadcrumbs. And you can use another fish or canned product if you'd like.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment