Friday, October 8, 2010

Beware of the Fair...food

Opps, they've done it again. The NC State Fair starts next week and it looks like they have taken the unhealthy food to a whole new level.

This year in addition to fried mac and cheese, we can also enjoy chocolate covered bacon, a zucchini weeni and a Krispy Kreme chicken sandwich. What are these concoctions, you may be asking.

The first is much like it sounds. Chocolate and bacon. I do agree that chocolate and salty go together well. But why bacon? And why bacon dipped in chocolate? (Can you feel my shivers of ickitude over the interwebs?)

The second is a hot dog, stuffed inside a zucchini, dipped in batter, and deep fried. And no, just because it has a zucchini DOES NOT MEAN IT IS HEALTHY!


And finally, my friends at KK have found a way to cash in on the internet phenomenon inspired by the Cheerwine donut and the KFC Doubledown. They will apparently be serving a donut chicken sandwich, which I imagine is just what it sounds like. Once again, even if the chicken breast is grilled instead of fried, this DOES NOT MEAN IT IS HEALTHY!



Ok, you're thinking I'm no fun. You're thinking I expect you to go to the fair, smell all those smells, see everyone else with grease and sugar running down their chins and turn a blind eye, right?

No! But, come on, folks, let's be reasonable. My plan of attack for the fair is to either eat before I go or to eat some healthy-ish before I dig in to anything overtly heart-stopping. For instance, a giant turkey leg and an ear of corn can be a decent enough pre-gaming dinner (especially if you share the turkey leg). Then, I recommend finding one indulgent item that you really like or really want to try and go for it....even if it is the nastiest conglomeration of saturated fat, salt and refined sugar as yet known to man (and fair food creators....because you know they're just gonna up the anty next year.)

I love fries from the fair. So that might be my treat. Last year I tried the mac n cheese and was sorely disappointed. So I'd recommend shopping around a bit before you wait in long lines, pony up big money and dig into your treat. Decide what you really want and enjoy every bite! (Or if you really wanna be good, share!) And remember to walk as much as possible. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment