Thursday, October 21, 2010

Runny Butternut Squash Soup: Opps I Did It Again

Grrrrr! I made butternut squash soup for the second time last night and it still came out thin!

I sauteed some onion and garlic. Then I added TWO butternut squasheseses that we had roasted in the oven. Then I added 6 cups of water and some bouillon cubes. Every recipe I looked at says 6 cups of water for one large squash. And I used two! It looked thick enough until we started blending it with the stick blender. Within a few seconds it was basically water.

I added a bit of garlic salt and pepper and some nutmeg and clove. It had a great flavor even though the texture was less than desirable.

We also made homemade croutons to go with it. I typically don't like sweet squash dishes, I prefer savory. So when Cakewalk brought home a crusty loaf of walnut raisin for the croutons I wasn't happy. But, it actually turned out pretty tasty. We just cut the loaf into chunks and baked it at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. (Be sure to flip them and watch for burning if you have a conventional oven.)

It was an ok dinner, but it left me wanting something more. So I turned to the leftover wedding cake. Yes, we STILL have wedding cake. There was about one large slice of each type left. But they had finally gone bad. Instead I had some fritos my sis bought. Reminded me of the silly yo mamma frito joke that I probably shouldn't repeat here. ;)

In other news, Wednesday was DAY 1. More on this momentarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment