Do YOU know how to properly prepare a turkey?
To avoid making people sick remember to:
- Thaw your turkey in the fridge, microwave, in cool water, or on the counter. Make sure the center of the turkey is thawed.
- Clean utensils and work surfaces after preparing raw turkey for roasting.
- Wash your hands after getting the turkey ready.
- Cook your turkey to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Don't wash your turkey. When washing, the pathogens can contaminate the sink, the faucet, other parts of the kitchen and your hands.
- Refrigerate leftover turkey within 2 hours of taking it out of the oven. Turkey should be cooled to 41°F within about 14 hours by putting the sliced up leftover turkey in a 1 quart zip-lock bag and laying the bags flat on the shelf in the refrigerator.