Thursday, October 21, 2010

Breaking the Habit: Diet Soda

I am not a perfect eater. I eat well and make smart decisions most of the time. But I also don't deprive myself of tasty delights like the occasional Mickey D's fry or KK donut.

I do have one nutritional vice. It is the one thing that I enjoy every day that I depend on when I need something sweet, when I'm bored, when I need caffeine or when I'm trying to squash cravings for other calorie laden items.

Hello. My name is the realistic nutritionist. I am addicted to diet soda.

There are a lot of mixed thoughts out there on diet soda. It is calorie free and sugar free. But it also has some sort of artificial sweetener and a load of other chemicals.

Some studies have linked diet soda with overweight. But it is undetermined as to whether it is a correlation or causation. In other words, we don't yet know if drinking diet soda causes /contributes to folks being overweight (or stay overweight) or whether it just so happens that those who are overweight drink diet soda.

Soda consumption has also been linked with osteoporosis due to the phosphoric acid content which may lead to bone loss.

Additionally, there are studies out there showing the negative health effects of excessive caffeine consumption.

Personally, I realize that diet soda isn't the healthiest option and it shouldn't replace water. But I also think it is ok in moderation and can be used as a transitional tool when folks who only drink regular soda are trying to lose weight and cut back on calories/sugar.

Unfortunately, I don't drink it in moderation.

But before I get on with my story, a note on regular soda. I often here comments from regular soda drinkers that diet soda is worse for us. This is simply not the case. Regular soda contains caffeine, phosphoric acid, and just as many chemicals as diet. True, it does not contain artificial sweeteners. But it does contain high fructose corn syrup. Have I posted about HFCS yet? If I haven't, I will. For now, I will simply say that it is bad for you in many regards and IT IS NOT THE SAME THING AS SUGAR!!!

Ok. So, where was I? Ah yes. Diet and regular soda can be ok in moderation, as an occasional treat. But I don't drink it in moderation. Now, I don't down it by the gallon. But I do drink at least 3 a day. I use it as a crutch. I depend on it. The thought of not being able to drink it stresses me out. (And I've been able to justify it to myself since I otherwise eat so well.) When I realized how emotionally connected I was, I accepted that I had a problem and that I needed to cut it out and then gradually re-introduce it as a sometimes food.

After discussing this with a co-worker and fellow diet soda drinker, we decided to make an office pact. We invited those in our office to join us in a Healthy Habits Pact. Each person who decides to participate will pick up to 3 specific healthy habits they want to rei-nforce in their lives. We will share our goal habits with the group and vow to practice them for one month. At that time we can re-evaluate. In this way, we will have support and accountability.

Do you have a habit that you would like to change/break/add to your life? You will be probably be more successful if you tell others about it. You should also make it specific and give yourself a definite time line. For instance, don't just say "I want to work out more." Instead say "I will work out for 30 minutes three times a week." Or you could say "I will eat 3 servings of fruit a day" rather than "I will eat more fruit." Figure out what you most want to change, make it specific but reasonable, give yourself a timeline, and tell someone. You can even start your own office or family Healthy Habits Pact.

If you would like to use this blog as a means of sharing your goals publicly, please feel free to do so. You don't have to share your name unless you want to.

Today is Day 2 for me. My plan is to avoid diet soda until Thanksgiving. By then I'm hoping I can add it back in but only a few times a week.

This just in!: I just received a recommendation from my cousin. She reminded me about fizzy water. This is a good option for those who want something bubbly but without all the chemicals and calories as soda. I love the stuff...I just drink diet soda too. :( So I'm gonna go get some. But I'm going to be careful not to let it become my new addiction!

Ok, ya'll. Wish me luck and help me stay on track!

3 comments:

  1. I hope the goal of cutting back on Diet Soda went well. It is BAD BAD BAD due to the aspartame. I know there is controversy as you mentioned, but there are hard core facts out there as well. But on the vanity side, which is how I got my significant other to ditch his diet soda habit, it does indeed stunt your metabolism for 12 hours after you consume it. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you give me any references for the hard core facts you alluded to? It isn't controversy so much as inconclusive and contradictory studies. I would love to read up on it if there is more current and more definitive research that I haven't seen yet.

    And, how does it stunt your metabolism? I have seen no evidence of that and don't understand how that would make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for my personal effort to kick the soda habit, I was successful in completely eliminating it from my diet for two weeks. At that time I decided to allow myself one per day. My biggest challenge with going cold turkey was that I often enjoy a soda when I feel like snacking to avoid putting unnecessary and usually empty calories into my body. So when I cut out the soda, I found myself snacking more.

    ReplyDelete