Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Holiday Treats for Kids

I was recently asked to post about sugar free Holiday treats for kids. First let me say, I don't think "treats" necessarily have to be sugar free or healthy. I think treats should be eaten in moderation. And since you only eat them once in awhile I don't see any harm in allowing some treats to have some sugar, fat, etc, especially if they are homemade or include fruits and veggies. But I certainly don't think we should deluge our kids with sugar or let them eat whatever they want in the name of holiday spirit. And there are some fun, healthy recipes out there that most kids will enjoy.

Here are a hodepodge of recipes, suggestions and ideas for parents this holiday season:

As you will see in an upcoming post concerning healthy snacks, I'm a big fan of homemade trail mix. Instead of giving your kid/allowing your kid to devour a bag of M&M's (for example), put the bag of candy in a bowl and add dried fruit (craisins, raisins, pineapple bits, banana chips, etc), nuts, seeds, pretzels, etc for a tasty snack/treat. This stretches out the refined sugar and adds fiber and protein. You can even put some into small baggies and send with your kid to school for lunch or a snack.

****************************

What about homemade muffins? Muffins are easy to make and something kids can help with. Here is a recipe I just came across that is certainly seasonal:

PUMPKIN MUFFINS

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Sift together
  • 1¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour (or half whole wheat and half all purpose flour)
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg
3. Beat together:
  • 2 eggs
4. Add to the eggs:
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • ¾ cup low-fat milk
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
5. Combine the wet and dry ingredients with a few swift strokes (don’t over mix).
6. Fill greased muffin cups two- thirds of the way full and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

Makes a dozen muffins.

I also have a recipe for berry muffins with jelly in the middle that are fun for kids to make but, of course, I don't have it with me now. Remind me and I'll post it later. ;)

****************************

While I have pumpkin on the brain, let me recommend another recipe that uses one of my favorite foods...yogurt.

PUMPKIN DIP

1. Mix the following ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons canned pumpkin
  • 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate (use 100% juice)
  • ½ tsp of cinnamon(optional)
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup(optional)
2. Dip with fruit slices or graham crackers.

****************************

Ohhhh....I just saw this recipe. This would be fun:

WITCH’S BREW
  • 1 24 oz. bottle cranberry juice cocktail
  • 1 can frozen orange juice
  • ½ gallon apple cider
  • Grenadine
Mix first 3 ingredients together in a cauldron (or punch bowl) and serve in clear plastic cups, with Grenadine ‘blood’ dripping down the inside of the cup!

For added fun, float funny face ice cubes in the brew: Half-fill & freeze ice tray (or muffin cups) with water, garnish each cube with blueberry eyes & a mandarin orange smile, & then fill rest with water & freeze again.

****************************

Finally, when I first got this question the first thing I thought of was baked apples. I LOVE baked apples and I think they are a great Holiday treat. You don't have to use a lot of sugar and butter for them AND you can even make them in the microwave!

"BAKED" APPLES

You will need:
  • 2 apples
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or you can even leave this out or use less)
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons butter
To make:

1. Core the apples, leaving the bottom intact.
2. In a bowl, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spoon the sugar mixture into the apples and set a teaspoonof butter on top of each apple. Place the apples in a deep casserole dish and cover.
3. Microwave for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or until tender. Let the apples sit for a couple minutes before serving.

Super easy, right?!?

Ok, I hope that is enough suggestions for now! Stay tuned. I will keep my eye out and do a little searching on some of my go-to websites for other fun holiday treats for kids (and kids at heart).

No comments:

Post a Comment