Monday, January 11, 2010

Whoooooa, Nellie! (Don't Do Too Much Too Soon!)

Let's see a show of hands....

How many of you recently started a new exercise/training regime?

It's the time of year when people roll off the couch, squeeze into some workout clothes and hit the gym full force. If this is you, you probably have a goal or ideal you are working towards.

So what is it?

  • Have you registered for a 8k?
  • Have you signed up for a triathlon?
  • Have you decreed that you will work out every single day?
  • Have you decided this is the year you will mimic the contestants on the Biggest Loser: losing a lot of weight very quickly by working out for extended periods of time and forcing your body to do things it isn't ready to do?

Have you set yourself up for failure? Or worse, injury?

It seems many of my friends and colleagues these days are training for something. As a long time runner, many who are training for a running event come to me for advice. The question I hear most often is "How do I get faster/finish my race in a specific time frame?" One friend and I recently had a discussion on this topic. She is new to running and showing great strides in her abilities. But she is still "slow." After our talk, she showed me an article from beginningtriathlete.com While the particulars may not apply to you, I think the advice applies to all beginning runners/new athletes/those with new workout goals. Here are some excerpts:

"From the Forum: I just began training for triathlon two months ago. I've really accomplished a lot (if you figure I started from zero) in that I can now run 5K without walking, consistently. However, my pace is about 10:20 per mile on an outdoor course. I'm 41 years old, female. Looking at the splits from a local triathlon, that pace is not very good even for women my age, who average about 8:30 per mile.With my first triathlon scheduled for March, when should I start to worry/concentrate on getting faster? And how do I get faster?"

And the response from Eric Conway:

"This is likely the most common question in the forum and I always feel compelled to answer.

First of all, congratulate yourself for converting to becoming a runner. Keep it up, the benefits are immense.

Now, about your comparison to local triathlete splits. I don't know how you determined your own pace, but remember the averages around 8:30 min/mile were during a race for which many of those women had trained for months, peaked in training, then tapered for the race. Some of these women may have been runners for some time, possibly for years. If you just went outside and ran a 5K on local roads, with only two months of running under your belt and NOT in a race situation, of course you will be slower than those times. This is the proverbial comparing apples to oranges and it can lead to erroneous (and potentially harmful) conclusions.

Let's be realistic here. You are 41 (though this is NOT a limiting factor!), new to running, and have only been training for a total of two months. You should consider a 10 minute/mile pace as a very good pace and feel proud that you are there so soon. I bet there are a number of people training in the same age group who would love a 10:20 pace. But, alas, we all want to improve (otherwise why would we care?! ) so make sure you do it smartly. Nothing can cut short your 'career' as a runner as a running injury.

For now, let's forget the idea of 'speed work' and/or sprint workouts. Until you are an experienced and strong runner, speed work will not provide you any realistic benefit and will very likely cause serious injury. One of my favorite triathlon authors states that there should be NO speed work in your training until you have run consistently for a minimum of 1 year (and up to 3 years for older and/or heavier athletes). Rushing your body into speedwork is irresponsible and generally a bad idea. Also, most beginning runners have enough areas to improve that a speed increase comes naturally as you become a regular runner."



I can't agree more with this article! As a runner who has faced injury time and again, only now have I begun to learn the importance of sound training, taking my time, listening to my body, and setting realistic goals.

I don't know what your goals are. And I am not trying to be a downer or kill your motivation. I am sooooo proud of you for taking charge of your health and attempting to do what most Americans consider a waist of time (had to put a pun in there.) I just want you to do it correctly, to set yourself up for victory in achieving your goals and in laying the foundation for a permanent lifestyle change.

So set realistic goals. (I am running a half marathon in a few months and my goal is to finish.)

Take your time.

Don't overdo it. You don't have to work out all of the time to reap the rewards. Just be consistent.

Be prepared. Make sure you are wearing the right clothes, have good shoes, use proper equipment, etc. You don't have to spend a lot of money, but sometimes a small investment will pay off huge dividends.

And, most importantly, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. If someting hurts (beyond a sore muscle or two), take it easy. If it still hurts after rest and proper attention, back off your training/schedule, you're probably doing too much or working too hard. The more you push, the worse it will probably get. Better to nip it in the bud early than let it become a serious injury that puts you out of commission for a long time.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment