Thursday, January 21, 2010

Picky Eating: A Lesson From Kids

Are you a picky eater? Do you eat your veggies like you should? When was the last time you tried a new veggie or re-tried a veggie you thought you didn't like?

Today I got to teach a group of 5 year olds about veggies. After a brief lesson, I'll spare you the details, each kid got a plate of raw veggie samples to try. No one was allowed to say "I don't like that!" or "ew!" The rule was that each veggie had to touch their mouth and tongue. If they didn't like the taste, they could put it back on their plate. If they liked it, they could eat it and ask for more.

They tried:
  • Romaine leaves
  • Baby spinach
  • Baby carrots
  • A grape tomato
  • Celery
  • Cucumber
  • Sugar snap peas
  • Broccoli
  • Red, green, yellow and orange peppers
And you know what? Most of them ate the samples and didn't complain. Many of them cleaned their plates and asked for more. Even the ones that tried to protest in the beginning ended up enjoying the taste test. If I saw that some kids were uncertain or slow to try something, I ate one myself and smiled. That was enough for them to take the plunge.

One girl kept putting a red pepper bit up to her mouth and then moving it away. Finally, after seeing me eat a piece, she ate it. As she chewed, her eyes lit up and she smiled. "That's good!" she told me.

We all have things we don't like. Personally, I don't like green garden peas (especially from a can), beets, or oysters. But I keep trying things I don't like, because 1.) I may find a preparation that I like, as I did with collards and 2.) my tastes might change and something that I previously didn't like might become a new favorite (soda water, greens, and many veggies.)

When someone tells me they don't like vegetables I have to wonder if they had negative experiences as a kid, if they've tried different ones prepared different ways, and if they've tried any recently. If you don't like cooked spinach, try it raw. If you don't like green peas, try sugar snap.

If you don't like oysters or one particular veggie or beer or you don't eat something for a moral reason, that's one thing. But if you are someone who doesn't care for an entire food group, especially one that can provide an infinite number of health benefits, remember the kids. Push your pre-conceived notions aside and tell yourself that it only has to touch your tongue. You can spit it out if you want. But you can't say "I don't like that!" before you've even given yourself the chance to find out if that's how you still feel.

And for those with kids, if you'd like some suggestions for getting them to try more veggies or to eat better, let me know! I have a few tricks up my sleeve.


5 comments:

  1. As my daughter turns another month older, I have been trying to get her to eat a variety of foods. When I put down a vegetable, I just know she won't like it and sure enough she doesn't. Someone told me it is about the energy I put towards offering the food. I need to think positive and I need to model eating the healthy things I offer to her instead of eating fried chicken and smores. Mmm, she can have some of that too...eventually.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. I think my dislike of veggies came from canned flavorless veggies as a kid. Also, some veggies for me taste icky in the first bite, but better as I let the flavor sink in. I've gotten so much better about trying things, and like you said, it's often a matter of how it is prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,

    It sounds like you are doing a great job so far introducing your daughter to healthy foods! Here is the trick with a child her age: continue to introduce foods to her repeatedly. For instance, every day for dinner put a couple of peas on her plate. Don't make her eat them, just put them there. She may not even look at them. But keep putting them on her plate every night. Eventually she will start investigating them, playing with them, and then will try them. It might take a week or two...so you just have to be consistent. And keep giving her a variety. She may not actually like peas...so give her other options as well. But you might be surprised how much she is willing to eat in the long run.

    And, you are right that her habits will be formed by how you react towards food. Right now she is probably still too young to distinguish between your meal and hers...but sooner or later she will notice. For now, you can eat your meal but show her you like her food too. Pick up a pea off her plate and eat it with a big smile.

    Now, as your for you, missy, do you really eat fried chicken and smores for dinner?!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer,

    I also ate a lot of canned veggies as a kid! That is probably most of the reason I hate peas. That, and because they are evil in general. ;)

    That's interesting that some veggies taste better as you eat them. Is it any one or two in particular?

    And, yes, preparation is everything...or lack thereof. If you don't like a vegetable cooked, you might still like it raw. I'd rather have raw spinach over cooked. And growing up I could eat raw carrots till I turned orange but hated mushy cooked ones.

    Congrats on getting yourself to try new things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just noticing lately that raw carrots need a good big Ranch dip at the beginning, but need less and less as I eat them. :)

    ReplyDelete