Friday, January 8, 2010

One Meaty Meal

Here is one recipe that I think fits all of the criteria mentioned in the previous post.

I used to make this meal all the time back when I worked late (needed something quick), was in school (needed something cheap), and ate meat (although this meal can be adjusted to fit just about any needs/dietary objections.)


Homemade Burritos N E Way You Want

You will need:
  • Large flour tortillas: this are fairly high in calories, which is why I only recommend one burrito per meal. For other dishes I recommend corn tortillas because they are about a quarter of the calories and less processed. But they are impossible to use for burritos.
  • Meat if you wish: I think ground beef or ground turkey works best. Ground turkey is the lighter, healthier option. But choose what you want. You could also use tofu, grilled chicken strips, etc.
  • Rice, if you wish: I think instant rice is just fine. Brown is better, of course. If you are watching your calories, just don't use too much. I like Uncle Ben's Instant Brown Rice. I use stock instead of water.
  • Pepper and/or onion, if you wish.
  • Beans, if you wish: Black beans are great. Canned are just fine. Just rinse them first.
  • Salsa, if you wish.
  • Cheese of your choice: cheddar and mozzarella work best. You can buy it pre-shredded, but it's cheaper to buy a block and shred it yourself.
  • Any other topping you like: guacamole, sour cream, etc. Making your own guac is super simple. Just buy the flavoring pack and 2 ripe (black) avocados. Then mash it all together in a bowl. If you like sour cream and are watching your calories, try plain greek yogurt instead.
To make:
  1. If using meat, cook it. Ground meat is the easiest, because you can just quickly brown it in a pan. You could even toss in some garlic. You could also sprinkle it with taco seasoning (another one of those little packets) for added kick.
  2. If using rice, cook it. Like I said, I use instant made with broth/bouillon.
  3. If using peppers and/or onion, cook them. I like to slice them and saute them in EVOO.
  4. If using beans, cook them. Rinse them, then microwave. You can try adding seasoning to these as well. I've used taco seasoning before and it was pretty good, just don't use too much.
  5. Place a tortilla on a plate.
  6. Sprinkle cheese on the tortilla.
  7. Place meat, rice, peppers, etc on the cheese.
  8. Top with salsa, sour cream, etc.
  9. Roll up and enjoy!
You can even have a small side of beans and/or rice with the extra if you want.


No comments:

Post a Comment