Thursday, January 7, 2010

Indulgence!

Since yesterday I have been in a mood....just a little stressed and not feelin so hot, ya know?

So when it came time to eat my healthy soup for lunch today I just couldn't do it. I had my usual low fat cottage cheese and fresh fruit for breakfast and pretzels for a snack. But what I really wanted was french fries. I was trying to resist and talk myself into being happy with soup and an apple. But then my co-workers invited me to grab something at McDonald's. How could I refuse?!?

So I got a small fry and a side salad with italian dressing. Even though the dressing is Newman's, it's full of artificial this and that. Nothing something I would usually condone for myself or recommend for others. But it has cracked pepper and probably crack cocaine, because it is sooooo good! And it's only 60 calories a serving (I barely use 1/2 a serving), so it balances out the calories from the fries.

Overall this isn't a balanced meal I would recommend, but I am the REALISTIC nutritionist, remember? I know that we all have cravings. We all have certain foods we like and certain foods we hate. Most people can't live on steamed veggies alone, myself included. So I don't go overboard and I don't throw my whole healthy way of eating out the window when I get a craving (well, sometimes I do, let's face it, but those occasions are very very rare.) We can't always be perfect or do what we know is best. But we can minimize the damage and keep trying to be the best little eaters we can be.

I ate my fries and enjoyed them. And for the rest of the day I will be cautious of what I eat to compensate.

Healthy eating is all about balance...didn't I say that once already? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment