Thursday, November 12, 2009

What will be on your Thanksgiving table?

This year I get to host Thanksgiving for the first time. It will be the coming together of two families (mine and Sir Cakewalk's) and their quirky holiday traditions and the beginning of some new traditions.

The primary holiday food tradition in my family centers around one thing: green bean casserole. I know many families include this in their sides line-up, and I know that when made the "traditional" way it's just a bunch of processed and canned junk with little nutritional value, but for us it has special significance. It was one of my favorite dishes made by my grandmother, who passed away over a decade ago. None of my biological grandparents are still living, so keeping any little tradition alive is important to me. (This is also why I might make mincemeat pie this year, which my mom just told me her mom always used to make....even though the name of it scares me.)

But gb casserole has even more meaning for my sister and I. I have been a vegetarian for the better part of my adult life, and my sister doesn't eat read meat. During many a holiday meal, the only thing we really had to look forward to was the gb casserole. Thus, it had to be made exactly to our specifications, which we honed over the years to exactly fit our tastes. To me it is the ultimate comfort food and something I cannot do without during any holiday meal.

Did you know that green bean casserole has only been around since the mid 1900's? Stay tuned for a post about it's history and cultural significance.

I will also be considering all of the personal preferences of those sitting around the dinner table when putting together the menu:
  • Vegetarian
  • No red meat or pork
  • Can't eat peppers
  • Doesn't like mushrooms/onions/brussel sprouts/greens
  • Diabetic
  • Diet friendly
  • And the list goes on.....
But despite all considerations, I have had a tremendous amount of fun putting together my holiday menu. I have allowed for any and all input from participating parties, but made some stipulations of my own:
  1. I want as much of the food as possible to be homemade. Nothing canned, boxed, or pre-fab...within reason. Exceptions will be made for the gb casserole which has to be made with a certain type of canned green bean and a specific canned soup. ;)
  2. I want to incorporate as much local produce and items as possible. I will be using my papa spud's order for this, and also visiting the farmer's market, Maple View Farms for dairy, and trying to find a local turkey if possible.
  3. I want to incorporate as much organic produce as possible. Hopefully, by purchasing some things locally, this will not be too difficult.
  4. I want to put a spin on old favorites (unless it is someone's favorite dish that cannot be altered.) To find ideas, I'm scouring my favorite books and websites including Eating Well, Whole Foods, Animal Vegetable Miracle, The Healthy Kitchen, Best Recipe Cookbook, etc.
  5. Special diets will be considered. If someone is diabetic, watching their weight or vegetarian, I want to make certain they have ample choices for good food.
So without further adieu, here is my Thanksgiving Menu, which still might change a bit here and there. If you'd like to know what recipe I'm using, or if you have ideas to share, please contact me.
  • Turkey (Local or at least free range)
  • White wine gravy
  • Green salad (Local greens and homemade dressing)
  • Light southwestern cornbread stuffing
  • Green bean casserole
  • Homemade mac n cheez (haven't chosen a recipe yet)
  • Homemade rolls.....or rolls from Le Farm
  • Collards from VA
  • Brussel Sprouts sauteed with a touch of butter and light mustard sauce OR Sauteed broccoli with garlic
  • "Light" parmesan mashed potatoes
  • "Light" sweet potato casserole with ginger, spices, honey and orange zest
  • Baked okra (Rice House recipe)
  • Ginger cranberry relish or cranberry/cherry marmalade
  • Mincemeat pie
  • Pumpkin flan
  • Cranberry Upside Down Cake
Looks good, don't it? ;) I can't wait to cook a somewhat FLOW menu for family in my new kitchen and sit down to a scrumptous meal. Then we will duke it out over Tripoley!

What are you having?

4 comments:

  1. so whats different in you GB casserole than everyone elses? The only way I know it is to use canned GBs, cream of mushroom and those onion crunchies on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a ton of ways to do it from the simple to the fancy.

    But ours is a secret. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GB casserole is the main dish for us and very much a secret. Remember the potato pancakes that granny use to make too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep! In fact, I used the leftover mashed potatoes from Tday to make some. It's a nice way to use up the extra food without making yourself sick from eating the same thing over and over and over.

    Mine weren't as good as hers though.

    ReplyDelete