Friday, November 20, 2009

Great book!

"Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high..."



I just finished listening to the book "Animal Vegetable Miracle" on CD and I loved it! I would highly recommend it to anyone who would like to know more about what it means to eat organically and locally. The author also discusses other food topics including cooking, gardening, vegetarianism, GMOs, etc.



It's a non-fiction work about one family who decided to eat as locally as possible for one year. It is very well written, with good content but also a good story. It isn't preachy, although the authors (the family wrote it together), do express their views on certain political topics related to food. It has a good bit of satire and humor and feels like fiction.




The audio book was great. It was read by the author, who has a lovely voice. I used it to keep me awake and from getting bored during my recent travels. It can be checked out from the local library as soon as I return it. ;)

It has inspired me to learn more about my local farms and farmers, to learn how to make my own cheese (for fun not as a necessity), to make my own bread, and to cook more often with more whole foods, to think about my vegetarianism (although change will be unlikely for personal reasons), and it has inspired me to teach more people about the American food system.

But you don't have to take my word for it.....


http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment