Monday, November 30, 2009

Time to work off the turkey!

Now that we've all had our share of turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, etc etc etc (all healthy versions of course)....it's time to work off the extra calories and stay on the healthy habit wagon. This is no time to get sluggish or throw in the towel!

So how much physical activity do adults need?

According to the new CDC guidelines, to reap the health benefits, you need:

  • 150 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic activity every week AND muscle strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups
OR
  • 75 minutes of vigorous activity every week AND muscle strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week
OR
  • An equivalent mix of moderate and vigorous activity every week AND muscle strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week
For even greater health benefits, it is recommended that you get 500 minutes of moderate intensity exercise or 150 minutes of vigorous activity PLUS muscle strengthening activities.

I would also like to add my own recommendation for stretching. I think just 10 minutes of stretching a day can make a big difference. Even if you don't do a formal stretch routine, although those are nice, try doing a few moves at your desk throughout the day. For specific suggestions, tune in later or check out my ESMM blog posts.

So what counts as moderate or vigorous activity?

Moderate activities include:
  • Brisk walking
  • Water aerobics
  • Using a stationary bike or biking on a relatively flat area
  • Or anything that gets your heart rate up, causes you to sweat, but doesn't cause you to lose your breath.
Vigorous activities include:
  • Jogging or running
  • Swimming laps
  • Riding a bike on hills or taking an indoor cycling class
  • Playing basketball
  • Or anything that gets your heart rate up, causes you to sweat, and causes you to breath hard...you should only be able to speak a few words without catching your breath.
So what are muscle strengthening activities?

  • Traditional weight lifting with free weights or gym machines
  • Working with resistance bands
  • Body weight exercises such as squats, lunges, push ups, etc
  • Yoga
  • Or anything that engages specific muscles to the point where its hard to do another repetition or hold on any longer without assistance
So how does one fit in all of this fitness?

Personally, I have found that using my lunch break forces me to get my bootie in motion and helps break up a long day of sitting at my desk. Some days I take a class at the gym (a convenience I know most working people can't afford), other days I get on the treadmill or elliptical and do intervals while watching tv. On nice days, I take a long walk around campus or the surrounding neighborhoods.

Even if you can only get in 20 minutes of walking before chowing down on your lunch, it can count towards your weekly and daily total. You might take 20 minutes during lunch, another 10 during your afternoon break, and then take a walk after dinner.

Or try finding a new activity or class to enjoy. Join a kickball team, join a running group, try a spin class (they are only as hard as you make them), go for a hike, play volleyball, take a dance class, try Wing Chun or another form of martial arts, go swimming, get a fun workout DVD from netflix, walk the dogs, train for a race or event, bike to work.....

Find something you enjoy doing, and do it consistently, keeping in mind the time recommendations from the CDC. It doesn't have to be painful or boring. The health benefits will be endless. AND if you are trying to lose weight, meeting these guidelines will help you on your journey.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. I took a few days off of my running routine for turkey day, but I went on saturday and again this morning. UP to 2.75 miles. But...my ankles hurt. Like they hurt a lot. Not after running for a while, from the moment I start running and even after. Going up and down the stairs my ankles still hurt. Any suggestions for that? Is it the pressure of running versus doing an eliptical or something? Should I do some sort of stretching or strength training?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few suggestions. First, do you have new shoes that have been fitted specifically to you? You really should get new shoes or use relatively new ones when you start a new routine AND you should have some that are designed for running shoes and have been fitted to you and your running style. I recommend Fleet Feet for this. It makes a difference.

    Next, you want to be sure you are following the 10% rule. You only want to increase your mileage by 10% each week...that's total for the week. So if you ran 10 miles total this week, you can run 11 next. You also want to watch how much speed and incline you include. Too much too quickly is never a good thing.

    A good warm up is also key. I know it's a pain, but when I'm training I always start by doing 10 minutes on the elliptical. Then I do some very light stretching for my problem areas. Then I walk for a few minutes on the treadmill before starting to run. Afterwards, be sure to stretch slowly and gently and completely. Try stretching your calves and doing some ankle rolls.

    To help the current problem, ice and rest. It might help to take off a week and then get back into things. Again, I know that isn't what you want to hear, but with things like this, it's better to nip it in the bud than push it and regret it after you've logged even more miles and time.

    I'm not sure what's causing your ankle pain. It could be any of these things. Treadmills are very hard on our bodies. I also have more pain and problems using them then running outside. But if you try these ideas, it might help.

    Good luck! I feel your pain. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks...all good tips. Unfortunalet there is not a fleet feet in charlotte. There is an omega sports in a shopping center near our house..is that a good place to go for shoes? any other store recommendations in my area possibly?

    ReplyDelete