Monday, November 9, 2009

Vegetable of the Month: Greens

Many in the nutrition field affectionately call these guys "green leafies." While all veggies are good for you and you should strive to eat a wide variety of them, green leafies have some of the most nutritious bang for your buck. They provide Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, and Fiber...amongst other things. They have no fat (unless you use it to cook them) and are very low in calories. Plus they taste great when they are prepared properly.

Growing up I hated green leafies. In fact I hated many vegetables (even as a vegetarian) but that's another story. What I eventually realized is that your tastes can change AND that liking some things is all in the preparation. Veggies taste completely different depending on whether they are canned, frozen or fresh and depending on whether they are overcooked (as most green leafies usually are), cooked with fat, or cooked with various seasonings. Check out the cookbook, "Best Recipe" for information on greens and how to cook the various types. Now, I haven't found a green leafy I don't like, assuming they are made well.

Here are some of my favorites:

Collards
Collards are apparently the oldest known greens in the cabbage family dating back to ancient times.

I learned how to cook them by asking the person who sold them to me at the farmer's market the first time I decided to make them myself. It was easy and tasty.

  1. The night before you cook them, pull the leaves off of the center stalks and tear into rough pieces. You don't need to chop them or make them perfectly sized. Rinse them in a colander.
  2. Soak the greens overnight in a large pot of cool, salted water. This will make your kitchen smell! It does not mean the greens have gone bad. And it is not an indication of the taste or smell of the future cooked greens. I promise!
  3. Before calling it a night, prepare the vinegar "sauce." Mix half a chopped onion into a cup of white vinegar. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate.
  4. When ready to prepare, drain and rinse the greens, set aside.
  5. In a large skillet with a lid, saute chopped garlic and onion with a little olive oil.
  6. When the onion is soft and browned, add the greens.
  7. Add some broth, either chicken or vegetable. The amount depends on the amount of greens. I usually add a little...like a half cup and make sure that moistens them enough. If not, I add a little more.
  8. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover the pot, and allow to simmer just until the greens start to wilt, stirring occasionally. Be careful not to overcook.
  9. Remove from heat and plate up. Allow each person to pour the vinegar/onion over their greens.
  10. Eat!

Swiss Chard
I first had swiss chard in a soupish chicken concoction a friend devised and convinced me to make. Basically, you boil a large pot of broth and add chicken breast chunks, chopped chard (leaves and stem), onion, potato, carrot and whatever else you want. Allow to simmer for awhile until the chicken is cooked and very tender. Drain all of the items unless you want to eat it as a soup. Shred the chicken with a fork, and place some on each plate along with a ladleful of the veggies. This can easily keep for days or can be frozen as a soup and thawed later for more than one meal.

I love throwing chard into a soup or simply sauteing it. Also try Rainbow Chard.

Other greens include:
  • Mustard
  • Turnip
  • Broccoli Rabe
  • Kale
  • Beet Greens
  • Tatsoi (see previous post on CSA for a recipe)
  • Spinach (Did you know many kids will eat and love baby spinach if served raw? If you think you don't like it, have you tried it raw?)
So be like Popeye this November and Go Green!

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man,
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man.
I'm strong to the finich
Cause I eats me spinach.
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man.

Except....don't eat spinach out of a can like he does...YUCK!!!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting...yea I may need to try some different veggies and try difference ways of preparring them. I never used to like any veggies unless they were cut up really really small in something so I could barely taste it. Now, mushrooms for example, I can eat a whole portabello if it's grilled in balsamic vinegar and such. One of my goals for next year will be to eat and try new veggies...and more often.

    Here's a question for ya...what are some good, basic ingredients for a well rounded salad? Like spinach versus iceburg..maybe a type of nut for protein? Thanks!

    Jennifer F

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to salad, the sky is the limit. While it's not the most nutritious, if using iceberg gets someone to eat a salad, than that works. But play around with other salad greens. Romaine, Arugula, mixed field greens, spinach, or even local lettuce are all good for you and have a variety of flavors.

    I had a salad made with local greens not too long ago and it was the best salad I'd ever had....which is one reason I'm getting more into trying local produce, it really does taste better often times.

    Then add any and all veggies you like. I like to walk around the produce section and see what looks fun.

    You can also add beans for some added fiber and protein. Beyond that you can add other toppings, but remember that they are going to quickly take your salad from light to high in calories....even if you choose healthy things like nuts or cheese or seeds or dried fruit. While these things are good for you in moderation, a serving size is very small, and most salads have many servings on them...packing on the calories. So be careful what you add beyond the veggies.

    But it's completely up to you and your preference as to what you choose, so I don't even want to suggest one thing over another. For me, I like a really crispy salad, so I choose romaine lettuce, peppers, cucumbers, carrots, celery, etc. Last week I added radishes to my salad just to see if I'd like it. If you try something new and dont like it, you can always pick it out. I also like adding a small amount of olives and a tad of feta cheese sometimes. I also really like to pepper my salad with fresh pepper, pun intended.

    You can also make a salad that doesn't have lettuce. I like mixing all the toppings and eating that as a salad because it stays crispy longer even with the dressing already on it.

    Another option is a pasta salad, just try to use a small amount of pasta and a lot of veggies. For a recent party, I chopped a bunch of veggies really small and tossed them with rotini, italian dressing and then had feta for sprinkling. I expected not many people to like it, but the bowl was almost empty when I went home!

    Finally, I just want to add some advice about dressings. I can't wait to try making my own dressings. I've made a few and they are super easy and fun. I mixed EVOO with vinegar, soy sauce and spicy mustard. I don't recommend that for everyone but I liked it. Homemade dressings are really easy and much healthier than bottled. But if you do get bottled, just be aware of what you are getting. If you are really watching your calories, keep an eye on the serving size and portion and look for something lighter. If you aren't watching your calories, and don't mind something with a higher content, try something with less ingredients and less artificial junk. These tend to have real EVOO, which make them a little higher in calories, but much better for you than overly processed, artificial stuff.

    I know that was a lot of info...but I hope that helps! Thanks for the question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great article! I like raw spinach but have never really liked all the other leafies. I think I need to step out and try them, cooking them well as you have suggested not in fat and use fresh! Thanks for the excellent info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lady, aka Mom:

    You should! You might like them. And guess what? You can try some of them at Thanksgiving! ;)

    Or, since you know you like Spinach, try to use it for salads...and if you want you can try mixing in a little bit of another green. If not, Spinach is still awesome on it's own.

    You might like a Spinach salad with a little onion, a light citrus vinegarette, a sprinkle of cranberries and a few walnuts. That would be a nicely balanced dish for you.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so do you have any good homemade dressing recipes to share?

    Jennifer F

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just starting to make my own, so I don't have any personal tried and true recipes.

    But I can recommend trying this website for recipes and ideas:

    http://www.eatingwell.com/search/advanced_recipe_search

    Eating Well is one of my favorite magazines and websites. Plus, when you do a recipe search you can put in "dressing" and then choose any health or diet consideration you may have like "heart healthy."

    Also try the Whole Foods website for recipes. The Food Network should also have some good ones, I've seen a few on different shows.

    Just try one and if you don't like it, you can tinker with it until you do, or throw it out and start again....it doesn't take long or many ingredients so don't be afraid to experiment.

    ReplyDelete