Thursday, February 18, 2010

Yogurt

In the past day or so I have had 3 people ask about yogurt. I don't know if there is a new yogurt fad that I don't know about or if it's just a co-ink-e-dink, but I thought it deserved a post.

So, first off, why do people think yogurt is so great?

Yogurt is a member of the milk and dairy food group. So just like milk, it provides calcium which can help prevent osteoporosis. But yogurt does have some additional benefits of its own. If it contains active cultures it may help with some GI disorders/conditions such as lactose intolerance. It can also benefit women with yeast infections (I will spare male readers the details.) Some yogurts even purport to help with regularity via bacterial content or added fiber.

Yogurt may also help with weight loss. Some studies have received a lot of publicity lately that show that milk, yogurt and dairy in general may promote weight loss. However, I do not think there is enough evidence yet to embrace these findings. Please do not think that just by adding yogurt to your daily food intake you will lose weight.

Unfortunately, not all yogurt is created equal. Take a look at the choices on your supermarket shelves. Yogurt can contain anywhere between 70 and 270 calories per serving. It can have no fat or be high in fat. It can have no sugar, added sugar, or artificial sweeteners. It can be plain or flavored. It can be runny, thick, whipped, or creamy. Some is organic some is not. Some have a ton of additives, some have only a few ingredients. And you might be curious about Greek yogurt which looks and tastes kinda like sour cream.

So here is my bottom line opinion on yogurt:
  • It can be a great easy snack or light meal, in combination with some other light foods.
  • It's portable.
  • It's cheap. Even if you "splurge" for the organic or specialty types, it still doesn't cost that much relative to the cost of a meal out.
  • It's portioned for us, so it takes the guess work out of calorie counting and portion control...unless you buy the larger containers.
  • It is typically sweet so it can be a nice dessert or snack when you need something sweet and don't want the calories of chocolate, etc.
  • Do I think it is a magical food? No.
  • Do I think you have to make yourself eat it if you really don't like it and have tried all the various types? No.
  • Do I like it? Yes. And I had to try several types to find the ones I like the best. I eat a yogurt or cottage cheese nearly every morning with a piece of fruit as my light breakfast.
Here are my bottom line recommendations:
  • If you don't like it or haven't tried it and you want to, I encourage you to buy one each of a couple of different styles and see what you prefer. I hate the runny yogurt that was standard until a few years ago. I prefer European style or anything creamy. I also like fruit on the bottom because they tend to be thicker and not as sweet. You may even have to try different flavors of the same brand/type.
  • Pay attention to the calories per serving. I would aim for 150 or less if you are trying to count calories/lose weight or at least be aware that some can pack a couple hundred calories, and take that into account in your daily balance.
  • Pay attention to the sugar/sweetener. I do not recommend the really light yogurts that contain artificial sweeteners unless you are diabetic and don't want to eat the options that are naturally low in sugar. They taste weird and are full of additives. On the other hand, some have so much sugar it might as well be ice cream. Many also have HFCS. Eeeeeek! If you can, try to avoid adding more HFCS to your diet.
  • Try greek yogurt. It is low in sugar and fat and has a nice thick consistency. If you buy it plain you can even use it as sour cream or in a savory dip or sauce. You can also buy it sweetened with a touch of honey or a fruit.
  • Stay away from the yogurts with added fiber. They have an icky taste and really do not provide the benefits of eating naturally occurring fiber (fruits and vegetables and whole grains.)
  • If you are vegetarian, be aware that many yogurts contain gelatin.
  • Personally, I try to buy organic and/or all natural. If you want to, just be aware that some of these can still contain a lot of calories or sugar. So read labels.
  • If you live near a Trader Joe's, give some of their varieties a try. They have a mocha and a chocolate European style that are thick, sweet-ish, and only about 120 calories. If you don't, there are still plenty of flavors and varieties to try at any major supermarket.
I hope this answers your questions. If you have more, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment