Thursday, February 18, 2010

What's Your Excuse? An Activity

Today I spoke at length with a co-worker about excuses for not working out. I know sometimes there are barriers that cannot be overcome. But, let's face it, usually they are excuses that hold us back. I'm not on a high horse here. I fall victim to my own excuses every now and then. It's amazing how adept my mind is at coming up with a rationale for not working out. (Right now it's trying to scheme a way out of a 5pm run.)

Here are some I've heard or used myself:
  • I don't have time.
  • It's too cold outside.
  • I don't want to be outside walking/running by myself.
  • It gets dark too early.
  • Gyms cost too much money.
  • I'm tired.
  • I'm hungry.
  • I'm too full.
  • By the time I get home I have no motivation.
  • I don't have the right shoes/clothes/gear.
  • I'm out of shape.
  • I don't know what to do.
What is your excuse? Or, should I say, excuses? (Because there is never just one.)

My co-worker laughingly told me that sometimes at the end of the day she thinks back over all of the excuses she used to justify not working out. She said she often feels sick to her stomach because there are so many and she knows she easily could've worked out anyway.

So here is your activity:
Write them down. Starting tonight or tomorrow morning or whatever, record all of the excuses, reasons, and crazy rationales you use to try to get out of working out within a days time or 24 hours (whether they work or not.) It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just carry a post-it in your pocket and jot them down as they come to you or keep a word doc going on your computer. Then, if you'd like to share, post some (or all) of them in a comment to this post. I won't use your name, and you don't even have to give it to me, if I do share your thoughts in a future post. I will try to help brainstorm some solutions and suggestions. If you don't want to share, at least take some time to go over what you wrote. Is there an easy fix? Is there something you need to purchase or learn more about? Do you need to ask me or a trainer for help?

I have tried to develop tricks and techniques to avoid my personal pitfalls and they often work. I also know that once we show ourselves that something can be done that we thought could not be done or would be too hard, we start to knock down walls of excuses.

Here are some of my personal tricks:
Note: These may not work for you, but they are things I have done to overcome my personal excuses.
  • At least a few times a week I work out on my lunch hour. Sure, I get a little sweaty, but that's nothing a little baby powder and a paper towel can't fix. It prevents the afternoon slump that I'm feeling right now since I didn't do a lunch workout today. And, it gets rid of all the excuses attached to working out in the morning or evening.
  • I have nice shoes and nice workout clothes. This way I am comfortable and have what I need to get in a good workout. I have a good rain jacket and warm clothes so the weather is not an issue (unless it's a blizzard, which has been applicable at times.)
  • I register for races and events so that I am locked into a training plan.
  • I workout with co-workers. On days I don't feel like it I make myself even if just to avoid hearing them taunt me.
  • I belong to an affordable and convenient gym. Actually, I belong to 2. One is close to work and one is close to home.
  • I tell people my goals and plans.
  • I attend a special class that cost $ and has a designated schedule. To miss it is like skipping school.
  • I pack my workout clothes and shoes in a large bag and take it to work/have it ready to go. I even have an old pair of shoes in the trunk of my car just in case.
  • I have an ipod that I put new music and shows on. Right now I can't wait to get back on an elliptical so I can watch the rest of a Big Love episode. I also like to workout on machines that have tvs or at a gym with a cardio cinema.
  • I bought a TRX so that I can do some arm work at home without any prep needed and without taking too much time. I may also buy a ball and a band.
  • I realize that many of my tricks involve a fee or cost. But I have found that a financial commitment is a good motivator.
Above is a picture of my bookcase in my office. I didn't put them there for the photo, but as you will see, my running shoes are sitting right there with my books and materials.

Do you have tricks or techniques that you use to avoid excuses? I'd love to hear them!

2 comments:

  1. got another question for ya...similar to the leftovers. Can you maybe take 3-5 veggies and post different ways to use them? Sometimes I find that I buy somthing that maybe is only called for in one thing you plan to make. Or you buy veggies that can only be purchased in bulk and you inevidably have leftovers cause you only needed a little bit. So...like asparagus, or spinach, or mushrooms (all veggies I like)..if I bought a pack of each of them, how can I work them into multiple dishes/side dihes that are not salads? THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Not a comment I expected for this post, but I'll give it a go anyway.

    Sure, I can do something like that. In the meantime, though, I would highly recommend using a website I've mentioned before:

    eatingwell.com

    You can put in the veggie or ingredient you want to include in a dish and search for recipes. You can even use an advanced search to find recipes that are diabetic, low fat, vegetarian, etc. I really like their recipes. I also like the ones on the Whole Foods website, which also has a search feature.

    Personally, I use this "technique" all the time when I have something I need to use and need a new recipe.

    Stay tuned for more suggestions though.

    ReplyDelete