Wednesday, February 17, 2010

TRX

Have you tried TRX?

Have you seen it?

Have you heard of it?

If you use Facebook or belong to a gym, you've probably at least heard about this new piece of workout equipment that is quickly gaining in popularity.

I first saw a TRX set-up while touring a local gym. An older gentlemen who was in incredible shape did a quick demonstration for us and told us it was the best thing he had ever used for a total body workout. I was skeptical about that. And besides, it looked tricky and even a little dangerous. Soooo not for me.

But then I got the chance to try it....

I have been attending an all female weights and circuit class a couple times a week on my lunch break. It is taught by two women who not only run the fitness programs at the university (so they know what they are doing), but are in incredible shape themselves. They kick our butts (or make us kick our own) by doing all kinds of crazy strength routines. (Can you walk across a room on your hands and feet maintaining a push up position?!?)

A few weeks ago my instructors decided to let our class be guinea pigs. The school just got some new equipment and they wanted us to be the first to try it. We walked into a room to find what looked like a jungle gym with ropes hanging off of it. I immediately recognized the TRX set up.

They led us through an hour long work out. Parts of it I could barely do, if at all. Parts of it worked my muscles in ways I had never experienced (I could actually feel my triceps working.) I was hooked.



Between starting a new job and buying a house, Sir Cakewalk hasn't had much time to work out and has been looking for a way to squeeze in more physical activity. He enjoys things that challenge him and his body. So for Valentine's Day I got him (us) a TRX. I figured it would kickstart his workout routine and help me get better arm definition in preparation for wearing a strapless wedding dress later this year.



Ok, so what is it????

It's basically a set of adjustable straps that you hook to a door or a support beam. From there you can perform different exercises/moves by suspending yourself and using your own body weight.

I like it because it's really light and really easy to set up. You can travel with it and use it just about anywhere. I also like it because it allows you to determine the intensity of your moves. It works your core and arms constantly and it helps with balance.

I wouldn't recommend it as a replacement for cardio. Although there is a cardio workout dvd that I haven't seen, it isn't really designed to get your heart rate up and keep it up for a sustained period of time. So if you are just looking to lose weight, this is not for you. But if you are looking to tone up or get into better shape, it's a great alternative to simple squats and push-ups or one-move machines at a $$$ gym.

Finally, if you are interested in getting one, I would see if you could try it out first. I would also recommend that the first time you use it, you do so with a trainer or someone who has experience with it. This will make it much easier and assure you use proper technique.

For more info, here is the website:
TRX

You can also buy many of the items on Amazon. I was able to get mine at a reduced price.

(The results pictured above are not guaranteed.) ;)



1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, one of the ladies in my workout class calls TRX "T-Rex." ;)

    ReplyDelete