Monday, February 1, 2010

It's Never Too Late To Make A Healthy Choice

I didn't bring my lunch today. I only brought some fresh fruit, which I ate for my morning snack.

When it came time to take my lunch break I couldn't think of anything I wanted to eat. I am surrounded by fast food restaurants and a couple sit down establishments. I just wanted something quick that I could get and take back to the office.

Before I left I saw a co-worker eating a bagel and thought "Brueggers!" They have tasty soups and salads. And I can get a bagel for a snack later since I won't be able to eat dinner until 9pm. So after running some errands, I headed over. And they were closed due to the snow. :(

At this point I didn't know where to go and my 1 hour was dwindling quickly. So I decided to hit up Bo-han-gu-lays. They usually have good sides, so I could get some veggies and a biscuit. Not the healthiest...but I what other choice did I have?

But when I drove up, I realized they didn't have any veggies on the menu, just potatoes and rice and fries. Ugh! So, out of desperation, I got an egg and cheese biscuit and an unsweet tea.

Then, I was heading back to work when I passed Subway. I had forgotten it was there. Time to make a decision. I had already spent a couple dollars on the biscuit. But I really didn't want to eat it...and didn't want all the crappy calories. I went for it. I got myself a veggie sub with all the veggies (except onions and jalapenos). I don't get paid for endorsing Subway like the Biggest Loser folks. But in a pinch, it is a great option. Just be careful not to eat the fatty meats or high calorie sauces. Instead, choose a lean meat and top your sandwich with as many veggies as you can and either mustard or a low calorie sauce. I would also recommend skipping the cheese. It doesn't really add much flavor, but it does add calories.

As for the biscuit, it is currently stinking up my car. I didn't even want to bring it into the building to throw it away and risk someone thinking I ate there. ;)

So remember, it is never too late to make healthy choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment