Wednesday, February 17, 2010

From Then On I Was Runnin

In 31 days I will run 13.1 miles with 2399 people.

I have had a love/hate relationship with running since I was a kid. When I was very young, my Dad was a marathon runner. I often went with him to his races. Although I don't remember it, I got to meet a lot of famous distance runners. What I do remember is the excitement and emotion of a marathon.

In high school I was prompted to join the cross country team because I knew I wasn't coordinated enough to do another sport and I wanted to do something active. I was never fast and I ended both seasons I participated on the injured list.

After that I ran and trained off and on for years, running many 5k's, but it never felt natural, let alone good.

Then I had a conversation that changed my perspective. While catching up with a friend I had not seen in a year, I learned she had trained for and run a marathon, although she had never run a day in her life prior. I shared with her how I was intrigued by running but how much I hated it and how I always ended up getting hurt, no matter what I did. She told me, "You're running too fast." Even though I assured her that I was not fast, she kept insisting that I was still running too fast for me and that I should slow down.

Since then I have learned to run at my own pace. I still do speed work on occasion and I push myself during my shorter runs. But for the most part, I run at what many would consider a snail's pace. And I love it! When I am out on a trail, running slow and easy I feel like I can run forever (within reason....I don't always feel like doing cartwheels as the miles go by...I mean it's hard no matter how fast or slow you go.)

This post doesn't really have a lesson or a point for that matter. I simply wanted to share my experience in a nutshell. But I would welcome any questions you may have on running, training, sports nutrition, etc or would love to hear your story about running or being physically active.



No comments:

Post a Comment