Monday, January 31, 2011

Lentil Salsa Soup: A Twist On A Fav Recipe

You may recall my recipe for easy, cheap, quick and tasty black bean soup. I hope you tried it. If not, check it out, it is definitely a crowd pleaser and a great source of fiber and protein.

Well now I have a new but similar soup recipe to tantalize your taste buds and satisfy your nutritional needs.

I present to you: Lentil Salsa Soup.

I can't take the credit for this recipe. I got it from my co-worker but made it my own way.

What you will need:
  • 1 jar of salsa. I used chipotle garlic from TJ's. Use whatever kind you want, but I would steer away from mango or something of that nature.
  • 1 (or more) cups of carrots, chopped however you want.
  • 2 (or more) cups of spinach. I used bagged organic baby spinach from TJ's.
  • 1 onion, chopped.
  • Optional: 1 cup of celery, chopped or any veggies you'd like such as red pepper.
  • 1 and 1/4 cup of dried lentils, rinsed. Or 1 package of fresh lentils from TJ's. (This is what I used because it is much quicker.)
  • 6 cups of water
  • EVOO
  • S&P
To make:
  1. If you haven't chopped your veggies, do so now.
  2. Heat a little oil (don't use too much!) in a stock pot about a tbs should work.
  3. When the oil is hot add the onion, carrot and celery or pepper, if using. Saute until onions are translucent.
  4. Add lentils, salsa, water to the pot and simmer. If you are using dried lentils, simmer for 50-60 minutes until lentils are tender. If using fresh, just bring the soup to boil.
  5. Once the lentils are tender or heated through, add the spinach and allow to cook into the soup for a few minutes.
  6. Taste. Add S&P as needed. I found my salsa added a lot of flavor and much of either wasn't needed.
  7. Enjoy (but be sure to keep away from wandering noses!) ;)

This is a great soup because it has tons of fiber and protein. It's also cheap and makes several servings. You can adjust it as you want, adding different types of salsa and/or veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment