Tuesday, January 4, 2011

If You're Moving, You're Improving

I don't know who said that, or where I even heard it. But I think it is definitely true and it's one of my favorite sayings. "If you're moving, you're improving."

We all have excuses and fears when it comes to starting a new exercise program, or starting to exercise period.

I certainly have them.

Yes, I can run several miles comfortably. Now. But that didn't happen overnight. And it still hurts sometimes. And I'm still pretty slow by most runners standards.

But I know that every time I get out there I am taking charge of my health and improving my life, even if it's at a snail's pace.

Sometimes I get self-conscious when I'm out running on a main road. I start thinking about the people driving by, probably making fun of me and my funny running style and jiggly bits that bounce as I trod along.

But then I try to remind myself that those people are driving by, not running by. More than likely, they will go home, plop in front of the tv and eat more than they should.

More than likely, they will not make it out the door to exercise.

I'm not trying to make fun of such people, just pointing out that those who exercise regularly are in the minority. They have overcome their fears and excuses that others could not.

And I know it's cheesy, but it all starts with one step at a time.

I am the first to agree that running hurts. And it will take awhile to build up to running a mile, let alone 3 or 13.1, or whatever your bucket list goal may be if you aren't already running. But it WILL HAPPEN. You just have to block out that voice in your head telling you it's cold and late and that you're hungry, etc, and do it.

And keep doing it.

And it will get easier.

I say all of this because last night a friend surprised me. Some friends and I had dinner and were then chillin and chattin by a fire. It was getting late and I was getting tired. But I knew I needed to run. Finding the motivation to do so was getting harder and harder. But then, a friend mentioned in passing that he wouldn't mind running a local race in the near future, but that he would need to work back into running. I quickly asked him if he wanted to run with me right then and he actually said "ok, let's do it."

I often invite people to run with me. I have numerous times tried to get people out the door when they insinuate that they need to work out. "Let's go!" I tell them. "Let's not just talk about it. Let's go do it. We can take it easy or go at whatever pace we want. Let's just get out there." Or I offer to hit the gym with someone or keep someone company while they workout.

No one has ever taken me up on it before.

And did we run 5 miles? No. Was it fast? No. We probably ran/walked about a mile together before he headed back in. But I was still very impressed.

I don't care how fast you are, or how far you go, if you get out the door, especially when it is cold and late and you are out of shape, I applaud you.

Now I just hope he can muster up that motivation again and again and again. He may only be able to do a mile for awhile. No rhyme intended. But it will get better. As long as he keeps moving, he'll be improving.

You may think I don't understand or can't relate. I assure you this is not the case. Working out has never started easy for me. I just keep doing it...crazy, right?! ;)

Here is a pic of me struggling through my first half marathon,
which I completed,
but SLOWLY.
It took me 5 months to build up to this point.

But even if you don't believe me, believe Ben, who I hope doesn't mind my talking about him on here. If you are out of shape and want to be motivated, check out "My 120 Pound Journey" on youtube. It, and Ben himself, continue to inspire me.

Now get out there and do something good for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment