Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Are Coupons Worth The Trouble?

I love some coupons.

But not all coupons are created equally. AND, in some instances using coupons can cost you more money and push you towards making unwise nutritional choices.

I'm not going to go on a huge financial tangent here, but I am of the camp that something is not a deal or a financially wise purchase if it isn't something you need or would normally use, no matter how much it is discounted....at least as it pertains to food.

For some reason I get the Sunday paper. And from time to time I'll sift through the coupon sections. But I'm always disappointed in what I find. Only on a rare occasion will I find something that I actually use or something that is a good deal on a product I could use. It also disappoints me that most of the products are processed/convenience items. I mean, I realize that no one is going to make coupons for a head of cabbage, but how many different types of pudding does one family really need?

When I hear about people who saved a ton of money using coupons I often wonder if it really saved them money in the long run.
Did they spend beyond their means just to get a deal?
Did they buy products they don't really like or won't really use just to have them on the pantry shelves?
Could they have bought the same products at a different store cheaper?
Did they use up their entire food budget on convenience items and forgo fresh produce?

I'm not saying to avoid using coupons. I'm just advising careful consideration before getting caught up in a super double frenzy.

I know I've said some of this before, but it always bears repeating.
For what it's worth, here is how I save money on a regular basis:
  • I look for coupons in places other than the paper. I go to the websites of companies with items I really like and use often. Usually they have coupons you can download or you can request them. They are often much better than what you find in the paper.
  • I use my store's discount card. But I am careful to see if the BOGO or discount is worth it. Sometimes the store brand is still a better deal. I also don't buy splurge items just because they are hugely discounted. For me, Doritos are never a good deal. But if one bread is cheaper than another, I'll go with that one.
  • Pay attention to the unit price of items. Larger containers are not always a better deal.
  • I buy certain products at different stores. For instance, bell peppers of all colors are always $1.29 at Trader Joe's. They also have cheaper bananas, wine and a few other items that I regularly need. So I make a stop at TJ in addition to my regular store. Sometimes I also stop at Whole Foods to buy items in bulk such as spices, oats, flour, nuts, and dried fruit. It is significantly cheaper to buy these items in bulk at WF than in packages at the traditional stores.
  • I buy items from local vendors like the farmer's market. During the winter this can be difficult. But during the summer and fall some items can be much cheaper bought locally than at the store.
How do you save money at the store? Do you use coupons or a store card?

1 comment:

  1. yea I don't do coupons, but I do go to the teert website and see whats on VIC and then plan meals around that. Of course, we end u buying loads of other things in addition, but if there is a meat or something on VIC then we will plan to make that one night. If there is nothing we really like on VIC, we usually just to to target for shopping since teeter is expensive.

    I would say in addition to your comments, if you end up going to multiple stores to buy stuff cause it's cheaper, you may end up spending more simply in gas and time (there is a time value of money) going all over town to get a few items. We somtimes at most to to 2 places (teeter for produce and meat, and target for everything else usually)

    ReplyDelete