Thursday, April 8, 2010

Small Victories

Yesterday I set a new PR.

No, I didn't run a sub 3 marathon.

I did 7 full push-ups and a 45 second plank.

Strength training is very important, especially for women, especially as we age. For this reason, and because I LOVE it, I take a ladies only strength/weight/circuit training class that kicks my butt twice a week, which I believe I've mentioned before. At the beginning of each six week session we do a baseline test to see how many reps we can do or how long we can hold a certain position. Then, we do the same "test" again at the end to see if we've improved. I know not to expect drastic changes, because it takes a long time to actually increase your strength and build muscle. So any small improvement is a victory to me.

I have a super strong lower body. I can squat and lunge until the cows come home and can run for long periods of time. But my upper body and core have room for improvement. When I first started the class last December I couldn't do a full push up (although I could do the girl ones) and I could barely hold the proper plank position for a few seconds without shaking and falling. So yesterday, when I was able to do 7 full push-ups with perfect form (I stopped when I wasn't doing them perfectly or able to go all the way down) and hold a full plank in perfect form for 45 seconds, I felt accomplished....especially since I was still sore from an earlier workout and probably could've done a tad more otherwise.

I've also improved my overall fitness, improved my running pace, lost a bit of weight and I'm starting to see more definition all over. It isn't much, don't get the wrong idea, I'm no GI Jane. But it's the little things....

And that's what we need to remember when it comes to fitness, nutrition and health goals. Set realistic (but worthwhile) goals for yourself and make them specific. And remember that some of them will take time. It might take you 6 months to lose 15 pounds or to gain a little muscle...but it will happen if you are consistent and patient.

Challenge yourself!

And, if you want to do a proper push-up, this video is a good visual representation.

No comments:

Post a Comment