Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Easy As Indian

I love trying new recipes. I love ethnic cuisine of all types: authentic Mexican and Latin, Lebanese, Greek, Ethiopian, Vietnamese and Indian. The latter two are my ultimate favorite....and the hardest for me to replicate in my home kitchen.

So I cheat.

Last night I was going to make veggie enchiladas but I just wasn't in the mood. So instead, while on the drive home I thought about what I have in my fridge that I could use for a different meal.

We had (not intended to be all inclusive):
  • Strawberries
  • Mango
  • Yogurt
  • Bread
  • Various frozen veggies
  • A bit of fresh spinach
  • Celery
  • Carrots
  • Discounted mushrooms
  • Discounted bell peppers
  • Onions
  • Tofu
  • and the usual pantry items.
I don't know why it popped into my mind but it occurred to me that I could easily make Indian. So I stopped at the HT and got a few extras for dinner. Rather than try to prepare Indian sauces, which I know would be difficult and would not even compare to the real thing, I bought a prepared sauce in a jar. They are usually called simmer sauces, meaning all you do is add meat and veggies to the sauce in a pan and let them simmer for a few minutes. They had a few different kinds to choose from. (I know they have even more at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's but I was at HT.) They range in flavor and spiciness. Some are very mild and not really "Indianish" at all for those fearful of ethnic foods. I also bought a discounted zucchini and stuff to make light homemade cream cheese frosting for cupcakes a made the night before (I never said I don't eat sweets...just in moderation and lighter versions when possible without compromising the integrity of the item.) Hmmmm....maybe I'll post about the cupcakes next.

At any rate, this is how to make the meal I prepared with the sauce and aforementioned ingredients I had on hand:
  1. Chop onion, pepper, zucchini and whatever veggies you have on hand and want to include.
  2. Saute onion until fragrant in a large pan.
  3. Add remaining veggies (except spinach) and saute until cooked through...I like mine just a tad past al dente but still crunchy.
  4. Add tofu or whatever meat you like (chicken works especially well but make sure it is cooked thoroughly, a worry non-existent with tofu).
  5. Add sauce to the pan.
  6. Simmer for at least 5 minutes. Cakewalk had to work late, so I left mine to simmer for about 30 minutes. Add spinach or greens near the end so they will be cooked through but not overdone.
  7. Serve over rice, with naan or bread, or by itself.
This is one of my favorite cheap, easy, healthy, quick meals. I've probably even mentioned it before, but that's what happens when I don't have new topics to post about...hint hint. ;)

1 comment:

  1. we did almost the same thing last night, but with asian food. We had purchased bean sprouts, a carrot, an onion, some mushrooms and sugar snap peas. All in it was super cheap. We had a frozen pork tenderloin so we thawed it, and sauted it in a wok with peanut oil and soy sauce. Then we sauted the veggies and added back in the pork. We put some hoisin sauce on flour tortillas, spooned some of the pork/veggie mixture in and rolled it up. We ate ours with a little rice which made itself in a rice cooker. All together it was relatively cheap, and took only a few min to prepare (would've bene faster if we had the veggies already cut up)

    ReplyDelete