Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Can You Boil Water? Learning To Cook The Realistic Way


I cook a lot. I'm by no means a chef, but I know a lot about food, meal prep, menu planning, and cooking in general. And, in this era of foodies, the food network and the internet, it seems more and more people want to learn how to cook.

If you do not know how to cook but would like to learn, or if you would simply like to learn more, here are my personal recommendations:
  1. Buy a copy of the Best Recipe Cookbook. I know I've mentioned it before, but I really can't say enough on the value of this book for someone who does not know much about cooking and also for those who want to learn more. It provides concise information on food science principles, food prep and cooking techniques. While it is much more than a cookbook, it also gives excellent recipes with explanations of them and modifications. If you want to learn how to cook brussel sprouts, for example, you simply look under B. There you'll find information on what a brussel sprout is, how to prepare it and a handful of the best brussel sprout recipes. Other cookbooks are more flashy and have prettier pictures and are penned by cooking personalities, but this one is the best overall reference to have on your shelf.
  2. Watch the food network. I would especially recommend watching Good Eats with Alton Brown. He presents food science basics in a fun and easy to understand manner. In this way, you learn how to cook not just how to prepare one dish per episode. But, if there is another show/personality you like, watch that! (I really like Healthy Appetite and sometimes Everyday Italian.) But don't just watch and then go out to eat. Record the shows and use them as guides. DVR can even help you learn to cook!
  3. Subscribe to a food magazine. I have subscriptions to Cooking Light (although I haven't gotten any since I moved so I think something got messed up, grrrr!), Vegetarian Times and Eating Well. I'm thinking about getting Marsha Stewart's Everyday Food. I know it seems like subscriptions are expensive, but over a period of time, they really aren't. Usually a subscription is about the same price as just 2 or 3 full priced magazines off the shelf. Plus, you can often find them discounted through certain websites or special offers. Go to Barnes and Noble and flip through a bunch of selections in the magazine section. Find one you that has a lot of recipes you really like or would like to try. Then do a little research to see if there's a good deal on it, and buy a subscription. It will give you good ideas every month. And, when you forget it's coming, as I sometimes do, it's like getting a present in the mail!
  4. Use the internet. When I don't know how to cook something or want a new recipe, I google it. Sometimes all you get is gobbily gook, but sometimes you'll stumble upon something you never thought of making or a really cool technique. There is soooo much information out there. Just tap into it.
  5. Ask me! If you would like a new recipe or have a specific cooking question, ask me. I may not have the answer, but I might or I might know where to find it. The more specific/concise your request, the better.
I'd like to advise that when learning to cook, you really just have to dive in and try it. You may make mistakes and you may make some really vomitous meals. Only a couple of weeks ago I burnt some artichokes, stinking up my kitchen, ruining a good pot and messing up my dinner plans. But it is the best way to learn and, more than likely, you'll surprise yourself. You can't be afraid of messing up. And you'll never be completely prepared or have all the info you'll need. So just jump in!

Finally, I wanted to share a link I just received from a friend and fellow cook. It discusses the basic tools needed in the kitchen.

Any questions???

Now go make something yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment