Friday, April 16, 2010

Now That's A Garden Salad!

We are in the process of planting our vegetable and herb garden. We planted herbs and a couple of the plants that can withstand cold a few weeks ago and they are already shooting up. I just purchased a bunch more plants at my local farmer's market and I will be planting them this weekend.

I prefer to buy from the farmer's market when I can. The plants seem to be a better quality, it supports local agriculture, and it's cheaper! All of my vegetable plants were $1.50 for 4 plants. Who said eating fresh produce was expensive?!?

I plan to grow as organically as possible. We are using organic planting soil to augment our dirt and have started a compost pile. We've already reduced the amount of trash we put out at the curb just by collecting our compost!

Gardens are a fun and cheap way to add fresh produce to your diet. They do take a little bit of work, but it doesn't have to be too labor intensive to get a decent harvest.

So far, here is what we have or will plant this weekend:
  • Basil
  • Oregano
  • Mint
  • Dill
  • Cilantro
  • Rosemary
  • Lots of German Johnsons (my fav)
  • Lemon boy tomoato
  • Cherokee Purple heirloom tomato
  • Hillbilly heirloom tomato
  • Some small tomato that produces a zillion at a time
  • Okra
  • Patio Pickle cucumber
  • Finger eggplant
  • Kentucky Blue Pole Beans
  • Banana Peppers
  • Rainbow Bell pepers
  • Red Globe Peppers
  • Pineapple (this was just for fun)
  • Brussel Sprouts
  • Carrots
  • Sugar Snap Peas
  • and probably another something or another that I can't remember.
I can't wait to make a salad!

Do you have a garden or do you plan to start one? What's in your garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment