Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Using It All

Last night I did a bit of cleaning...and cooking...at the same time!

I got my order from Papa Spuds in and it included (amongst other things): Kale, red potatoes, broccoli and cilantro (all local and mostly organic.)

I chopped up the potatoes and broccoli and sauteed them with an onion. Then I set that aside.

While that was browning in the pan, I took the broccoli stem and onion bits and put them in a big pot of water on the stove. To this pot I then added:
  • a hunk of ham leftover from thanksgiving
  • part of the turkey carcass from tday
  • a couple of carrots that weren't bad but weren't crunchy anymore
  • the stems of the cilantro
  • the stems of some other herbs I had lingering in my fridge
  • any other veggies I had that weren't being used or parts of veggies that were otherwise not usable
  • AND some salt and pepper.
I let this simmer for a few hours. Then I strained it and put the liquid into a slow cooker.

In the slow cooker, I also put broccoli florets, red potatoes, chopped kale, an onion, S&P, and hot sauce. I let this cook all day today. I haven't tried it yet...but it smells good.

Finally, I put the sauteed veggies back in the pan and poured an egg mixture over it. The egg mixture had mostly whites and few yolks, a touch of cheese and S&P. Then I let it cook, flipped it, and served a frittata of sorts. I say "of sorts" because it was rather ugly. I am not a good flipper. Nor am I am good frittata maker...heck I can't even spell the word. But when I make them they always taste good.

So there ya have it. That's how I used my weekly veggie order AND used up any leftovers and nearly bad produce to make two easy and quick homemade dishes. I say "quick" because even though I let things cook for long periods, I really didn't spend much time in the actual kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. sounds good. I do sort of the same thing with left overs and veggies. I usually saute and season with Big Daddy's Superb-Herb also availabe thru Papa Spuds. It really makes the flavors pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. I'll have to try that next week.

    ReplyDelete