Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Is it worth it?

I just received a link for this website:

http://www.organicitsworthit.org

I'm still checking it out, but it seems to have some good info on organically grown food.


I used to be up in the air on the subject of organics. I even debated on the side of "against" in a mock debate in graduate school. And I think I won. But since then I have read more, seen more, and heard more. The most interesting information I saw was at a national conference last year. Two professors spoke on the subject to a packed room. They showed study after study to support their views that organically grown food is better for you. They showed that it's better for you in that organic foods likely have a higher nutrient content AND because of the potential risks of eating food that has been treated with pesticides and chemicals. I'm sorry that I can't remember the names of the presenters or provide more concrete details of their studies....because it was enough to finally convince me that organic growing was important.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to run out and spend tons of money buying only organic food. But I am saying that there is more to this argument than a hippie desire to be more natural.

What do ya'll think?

2 comments:

  1. I've heard that since organic tends to be more expensive, there are some foods that are "more worth it" than others...like items that have a tough skin you don't have to buy organic because the pesticides can't penetrate into the vegetable. Your thoughts? And which items do you think are more important to buy organic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a list of which foods have the highest exposure to pesticides. I will find it and post it. However, pesticides/chemicals still penetrate all produce...it's just a matter of degree. I know that peaches and strawberries are some of the highest on the list to try to get organic. Bananas are a little lower, because of the peel. So if you want to incorporate some organic food into your diet, this is one way to do it.

    Do remember, though, that organic doesn't only apply to fruits and veggies. I once heard an expert on food chemical engineering give a talk. When asked at the end of the talk if he ate/bought organic, he replied that if nothing else, he ONLY buys organic milk and that he won't let his kids drink anything else. He said it is the most dangerous of all conventional products. I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I have heard it a few times now. I only buy organic milk...and I prefer local. Better safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete