Friday, December 11, 2009

Reader Question: Motivation to Conquer Holiday Temptation

Do you have any tips or tricks for how to get motivated again with eating correctly at this time of year when you have so little time to spend on yourself?

Thank you for the question. And yes! I do have some suggestions:
  • First, I would say that trying to start a new diet or return to a rigorous eating plan now, may not be the best idea. Then again, I never recommend starting an extreme "diet" as opposed to making sustainable lifestyle changes, but that's another matter. But that doesn't mean you should gorge yourself with goodies until 1/1/10 either.
  • Next I would say the word that no one ever seems to like or fully understand, even though we all know its the answer to most questions: BALANCE. Eating healthfully without starving or depriving yourself to the brink of insanity is all about balance and weighing your options and priorities. Now I know you were not looking for a big philosophical/psychological response. But this concept has practical, day to day applications, especially this time of year:
  1. Decide in advance what some of your favorite holiday treats are. These are the things that are part of your holiday celebration....not just something to nibble on mindlessly.
  2. Have something in mind? (I hope it isn't something with coconut, ew!) ;) Now, can you think of a way to make or purchase a slightly healthier/lighter version of this thing? If not, feel free to email me and maybe I can help you. I don't mean just pull out the sugar and add artificial junk. Nor do I mean taking out all of the flavor. But there are options for making foods better for you, and sometimes they even taste better than the original!
  3. If you really can't make a lighter version of the real thing, than you can have the real thing! But here is what you must do in exchange. Decide when you are going to indulge in said thing. Do you have a party coming up? Is it something you eat Christmas morning? Know when you will be consuming this treat. Then, for the rest of that day, monitor what you else you eat and curtail any further indulgences. For example, I love my sister's cakes. She is working on finding healthy versions of some of them (and might even open her own healthy options bakery in the future), but for now, if I want the treat, I have to eat the real thing, butter, sugar and fat and all. So if I know she is bringing dessert for dinner, I will cut back a little the rest of the day. I'll make sure I eat a good breakfast. I'll eat a lighter lunch packed with veggies. And I'll refuse second helpings at dinner. Then I can eat her dessert guilt-free.
  4. Now, when you actually go to eat your treat, don't just slap a hunk on your plate and then inhale it. Start with a modest portion (if you need help with portion sizes, and most of you probably do whether you know it or not, email me.) Then, eat slowly and really enjoy each bite. Don't watch tv, don't slurp it down with a beverage, and don't talk with your mouth full, ew! Just enjoy! Even if you do eat a little more than you probably should, it won't break the caloric bank, because you've kept your spending to a minimum all day.
  • You can follow a similar procedure any time of the year. For example, I LOVE McDonald's fries. Did you get that? An RD admitting to loving Mickey D's fries. But, when I have them, I don't also have a burger. Instead, I get a small fry and a side salad with light dressing for a light meal or snack. To make it a full meal, I might put some lean protein on the salad (most often from my own kitchen not from McD's.) For the rest of the day, I also watch what I eat....I don't necessarily count every calorie and morsel (although this can be useful if you are trying to lose weight.) But I do try to choose more veggies and fresh foods and less processed, calorie dense crap-ola.
  • Basically my advice is to just put a little thought into each bite. Is this bite good for you? If not, is it worth it and can you "afford" it, ie did you save up for it today? Or, can you make a different version that is just as good? Typically anything processed can be homemade and it will save calories and increase flavor.
  • When you are at parties and there is a lot to choose from, take stock of the choices first and weigh your options. If there is a green salad, fill your plate with that. Then, add in a few other goodies to accompany it.
  • Remember to consider alcohol. These calories need to be budgeted in as well. Again, if I know I want to enjoy a glass of wine or two, I will scale back the rest of my day. Or, I will just have a small amount and enjoy it.
  • Before I go further, I should clarify one thing. When I advise you to watch your caloric budget and to account for the good stuff by cutting back a little I DO NOT mean starving yourself to make room for alcohol or fatty/sugary treats. It is never good to go without food. Nor is it good to overindulge. And combining the two can wreak havoc on your body! When I say "cut back" I mean, make a turkey sandwich at home for lunch rather than eating a burger out. Eat a large salad rather and a small portion of pasta rather than the other way around. Eat some oatmeal, fruit and yogurt for breakfast rather than a bo-han-gu-lays.
  • The last thing I would say is to remember that this time of year won't last forever, but temptations will always be around. We are always busy. Eating healthfully takes a little education and a little work. So go slow and make small changes that are permament lifestyle alterations. Even if you only set two small goals for yourself for this season, think about how great you'll feel if you accomplish them! So think of a couple of ways you could eat better that wouldn't be too hard to achieve, even now. And commit to them. You may have some setbacks, but you may find its easier than you think! Some goal ideas:
  1. Limit sodas (give yourself a specific number/amount, it's easier to stick to) and drink more water.
  2. Bring your lunch to work every day. Don't eat out.
  3. Eat breakfast.
  4. Eat a salad first. Then eat the rest of your meal. It will help fill you up.
  5. Eat at least 5 veggies a day. (You can choose a number that is higher or lower if that works better for you.)
  6. Walk for 30 minutes a day if you are currently not exercising.
  7. Switch to low fat mayo...or switch any product to a low fat version.
  8. Check Realistic Nutrition every day for new posts and comments.
I hope this helps. If you have any other questions/thoughts/suggestions, please comment or email me!

Good luck!

Happy Holidays!

And now a picture I can't get out of my head...dang it!


Good thing I had veggies and healthy soup for lunch today...looks like I'm gonna have to make a big withdrawal from the caloric bank later. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment