Monday, February 7, 2011

I Took The Krispy Kreme Challenge....Sort Of


On Saturday I ran the Krispy Kreme Challenge with Sir Cakewalk and two friends. This was my first year doing it. And what a challenge it was!

It poured the rain. And it was cold. And it was still packed with donut lovin/runnin fools.

We ran 2 miles (really about 2.35) to the Krispy Kreme store. There we had the option of eating a dozen donuts (or as many as we wanted) and then running the 2.35 miles back. The real challengers ate the donuts, ran back in under an hour and didn't hurl.

I did not fully accept the challenge. I ate two donuts. Then Sir Cakewalk told me he ate 3, so I ate one more. I had to man up. Couldn't let him beat me.

As I ran back, I didn't feel ill at all. No upchuckin or ass-plosions or GI distress.

And it was a blast despite the conditions. Folks dressed in all sorts of crazy outfits. Some ran barefoot, others ran in pajamas. The atmosphere was fun and friendly, not competitive or anxious like some races. I'll definitely do it again next year and I might even accept the full challenge!

Here is the caloric breakdown of my run:
  • 3 donuts = 220 * 3 = 660 calories consumed
  • 4.7ish miles = 100 calories * 4.7 = about 470 calories (maybe more since I was drenched and my clothes were weighing me down) (this is a rough estimate)
  • Net GAIN = 190
Oh well, it was all for charity. ;)

Next month I am running another 8k. This will be my 3rd race at that distance so I'm looking for a PR.

What races will you be running this Spring?
How many donuts did you eat this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment