Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Cost of Produce

While giving a lecture recently, I was asked a ton of questions. I'm going to turn some of these into blog posts.

At one point in my presentation I was talking about how just increasing the servings of fruits and vegetables in your diet can help you lose weight and improve your health.

One person interrupted and said: "You keep saying that we need to eat more fruits and vegetables. How do you expect us to do this when they are so expensive?"



I know I've touched on this topic before, but I thought I would mention it again.

Here are my thoughts on purchasing fruit (and produce):
  • First, I recommend trying to buy in season, when you can. At the present time of year this won't get you very far. But if you buy strawberries in the Spring and apples in the Fall, they will cost less. If you try to buy apples in the Spring, you will pay more for them. Hit up the farmer's market when it's open and indulge in whatever item is in season and cheapest.
  • When eating seasonally isn't really an option, I recommend being smart at the store. My first suggestion is to loot the reduced price produce bin. This is usually the first place I look for fruits and veggies and I base my meals around what I find there. If there are a bunch of mushrooms, I'll make a stir fry or a shroomy pasta dish. If there are super ripe avocados, I'll make some guacamole. If there are apples or bananas that are a little brown (there almost always are), I might not eat them by themselves, but I can still use them in a parfait, a smoothie, in a bread or other baked item, or I can make a dessert with them.
  • Next, I suggest buying what is on special that week. If that means you don't get any strawberries, but you get to load up on blueberries because they are BOGO, do that. If celery is on special, get a few packs. If greens are cheap, get those. You get my drift. Does it mean you have to be creative and more flexible with your meal planning? A bit. But it will save you money. I always buy LOTS of fresh produce at the store and I never have a huge bill.
  • Buy frozen produce. Frozen produce has the same nutritional value as fresh stuff. The only difference is the texture and taste can be different. There are more and more options in the frozen section every day. You can buy pretty much any veggie and many fruits. But BEWARE of the sauces and added flavorings. Aim to buy the plain ole veggies, not the ones with the cheese sauce or "asian flavor" or whatever. These add calories, sodium, and sometimes fat. Or at least be smart about the ones that you do buy. Some of them are not that bad and can provide a quick side that doesn't require seasoning or any kind of preparation.
  • Try dried fruit. This recommendation comes with a caveat. You can't eat too much because dried fruit can pack in the calories and the sugar. But a sprinkle of cranberries can go a long way in your oatmeal or yogurt. You can also get different types of dried fruit and make a healthy, homemade trail mix. I stock up on dried fruit when it goes on sale. It doesn't go bad, so take advantage of BOGO specials and the like.
  • If you can, shop around a bit. I know that TJ's has organic bagged baby spinach for $2.49, all colors of peppers for $1-ish, bananas for cheap, etc. So I buy what I can at the traditional store and then I buy some stuff at TJ's. I know this isn't an option for everyone, but if you can, make the most of the different stores in your area that might be running different specials on produce or have different pricing levels. I'm not a fan of Wally World, and I don't think their produce is the best quality...but it is another source of cheap produce if you have one in your area.
  • You can drink juice but in general I do not recommend it except as a treat. Juice, like dried fruit, has a high concentration of calories and often includes added sugar. But if you don't have any other way to get some fruit into your diet, drink some OJ or 100% juice. You can even try making a juice spritzer by mixing juice with soda or seltzer water. This will reduce the overall calories and sugar consumed and it makes a fun, virgin cocktail.
  • Be creative with the produce that is almost always cheap, like carrots, onions and potatoes (does that have an "e" or not?). I put carrots in everything: soups, stews, stir fry, etc.
  • Finally, you can prepare. Stock up when you see a good deal and try freezing or canning your own produce. Freezing is easy enough, just be careful if you try to can, as it has to be done correctly to avoid food safety concerns.
Now go forth and eat your F&V and no excuses about the cost! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Oh!!! And you can grow your own fruits and veggies...how could I have forgotten? ;)

    You don't even need a yard. I once grew okra in a pot on my porch.

    I recommend using a start plant if you are new to gardening. You can find these at your local home improvement store in the late Spring...OR, even better, you can buy them at your local farmer's market where you will find lower prices and more selection of healthier plants.

    This is a great way to save money on produce and herbs.

    ReplyDelete