Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Sound of Silence and Shoes on Pavement

Sir Cakewalk and I have now been running together for a few months. We are currently training for a 10 miler the first weekend of December. It has been an awesome experience. I've never been able to run with another person so consistently before. It's motivating and it makes the whole task of running more fun.

But we are now up to running 3-4 times a week and logging more than 8 miles on our long runs. That's a lot of time to spend together, even for newly weds. We often talk about work and what not, but that usually only lasts a few minutes. When we run out of something to say, we can hear our own breathing, feel every ache more distinctly and my brain starts yelling that it is time to stop this madness and do some chillaxin.

Being bored during a run hasn't been a problem for me before. When I'm training by myself I try to mix it up by running different routes, different terrain, etc and by either listening to music or audio books or watching tv shows like Gossip Girl while on the treadmill. But putting on headphones defeats the whole point of having a running partner.

So now we are in search of conversation topics.

Last week we did 4 miles in the rain and discussed our first memories of food. That was fun.

Anyone have fun ideas for conversation? The more random, the better. Ideally it would be something open ended that we can keep rolling while we hit the pavement for 45+ minutes.

What else do you do to keep your workouts interesting?

PS I totally need a cool pic of us running together. I don't think I have a single one. I have plenty of myself at races or running events. And those are just soooo flattering. ;) But I need to share a picture here, don't I? I mean, blogs need pictures....


No comments:

Post a Comment