Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What I'm Eating: Edamame

When I first encountered edamame over 10 years ago I didn't know what to do with it. I was at a Japanese restaurant and before our meal came, the server brought us a small bowl of fuzzy, green peas. I had no idea how to eat them. So I picked one up and popped the whole thing in my mouth. It was fuzzy and stringy and very hard to chew. But it looked healthy and I liked the saltiness, so I kept eating. When the bowl was nearly empty I noticed another diner eating his pods by scraping them between his teeth, so as to avoid consuming the fuzzy, tough exterior. I tried this and found it not only easy, but fun and much much tastier. I was a little embarrassed, but happy to have learned and tried something new.

Now edamame is much more mainstream and can be found in most supermarkets and even has it's own website. It's also one of my favorite snacks.

Edamame, which is a fancy name for boiled green soybeans, are/is tasty and healthy.
The little green beans provide:

  • Protein
  • Fiber
  • Heart-healthy fats
  • Folate
  • Magnesium



They also provide all the benefits of consuming soy, without the processing of tofu or other derivations.

I prefer to eat my edamame directly from the shell. It takes some effort, so it forces me to slow down and enjoy them rather than gobble them down like a handful of shelled nuts. I like buying them frozen, "steaming" them in the microwave, dusting them with a touch of salt, and then following the strategery of the man I observed so long ago at the restaurant. They even have bags you can microwave them in, eliminating the need for a bowl or plate. I keep a bag or two in my freezer at work for an afternoon snack.

You can also purchase them shelled. You may have seen them in this form on a salad bar. You can toss the shelled beans onto a salad or mix them into a stir fry or pasta dish.

A simple search on one of my favorite recipe websites yielded 72 results. Ohhhh....I simply must try the Egyptian Edamame Stew!

Some time ago I hosted a dinner party for eaters reluctant to eat anything green, healthy or "vegetarian." For an appetizer I made baked wontons filled with a mystery ingredient. I waited until everyone had tried them and I could get an honest reaction before I shared what it was. Edamame! And they were a huge hit!

At the moment I can't find the actual recipe, but I think it went something like this:

Edamame Wontons

You will need:
  • One package, shelled frozen edamame
  • 1 T freshly grated ginger
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • Wonton wrappers (can be purchased at most grocery stores including Super Walmart)
  • Water
  • S & P
  • Fresh herbs, if desired
To prepare:
  1. Set oven to 400 degrees
  2. Microwave edamame as instructed on pack
  3. Add 1.5 cups of edamame to food processor
  4. Add ginger and lemon juice to blender
  5. Add about 3 T of water, just enough to moisten the ingredients but not to make it soupy.
  6. Add a pinch of S & P to taste and any herbs if using them.
  7. Process until consistency of guacamole. It can be a little chunky or more smooth, depending on your preference. Just don't let it become to soft and liquidy.
  8. Lay wonton wrappers out flat. Place a small amount of edamame mixture into the center. (Add less than you think you should so it will close.) Moisten the edges of the wonton, fold over, and press to seal the edges. Continue filling wrappers until mixture is gone.
  9. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
  10. Lay out wontons on cooking spray. They can touch, but should not overlap.
  11. Bake in oven ~10 minutes, flipping once in the middle, until brown and crispy.
  12. Serve with soy sauce, tamari, chili sauce, sweet and sour sauce or any asian-ish sauce you like!
If you have a yummy edamame recipe, please share! Or if you try them for the first time after reading this post, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment