Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Do you know your BMI and Body Fat %?

There are a number of ways to calculate/measure/assess whether you are healthy, overweight, etc.

BMI = Body Mass Index

BMI is a number calculated using your weight and height. It provides a reliable indicator of body fatness for most people and is used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems. It is not 100% reliable for all body types, but it is a quick and dirty method you can use to determine if your weight is putting you at risk for health complications.

Use the CDC online calculator to determine your BMI.

Body Fat Percentage

BMI does not measure your actual body fat percentage, aka the percentage of fat your body contains.

Unfortunately it is not as easy to determine your body fat percentage. Be weary of online tools or cheap devices that claim they can calculate your body fat percentage. They do not work!

There are a number of methods, none of which are 100% accurate, but some are better than others. The gold standard method involves underwater weighing and is impractical for most people. Instead, there are two methods available to most people, which may require only a nominal fee if any.

Bioelectrical impedance determines the opposition to the flow of an electric current through body tissues. This can be used to calculate a person's total body water, which in turn can be used to estimate body fat.

Sounds scary, doesn't it?!? I've had it done several times and I assure you it is painless. You simply stand on what looks like a typical scale (you do have to be bare foot and you might have to deposit a tiny drop of water on each foot plate), after inputing some basic information about yourself and it gives you a response much like your home scale would but with additional information.

It is quick, portable and relatively reliable...if you are using a good machine. Many scales claim to measure body fat without actually doing so. The machines I used were property of my university and hospital. So to give it a go, I would look there first. Your local gym might have one as well, but I would ask questions about it to make sure it is legit.

A skin fold test is the tried and true, easy, quick method for determining body fat. I learned how to do this in school and, let me tell you, it can be tricky so consistency is key! To have this done, someone (preferrably someone trained and well-practiced) uses special calipers to pinch your skin in a number of specific places on your body. The thickness of these folds is a measure of the fat under the skin, also called subcutaneous adipose tissue.

It doesn't hurt, but you should be aware that some of the spots are a bit personal. So you may be most comfortable with a person of the same sex. You should also wear loose clothing or a t-shirt and shorts. The measurements are then entered into formulas that convert these numbers into an estimate of your percentage of body fat according to your age and gender.

You can typically have this done at any local gym. It may cost $10 or so. But look for promotions when it might be free. And remember to be consistent. Optimally, every time you have it tested, you should have it done by the same person using the same calipers and machine. If that isn't possible (and even if it is) remember that is just an estimate and is susceptible to human error so take it with a grain of salt unless you see a consistent pattern. I would also remember not to get it done too frequently. It takes awhile to really see a change (unless there are extenuating circumstances like sickness or being a participant on an unhealthy reality show.)

I'm posting on this topic because I recently had my body fat tested at the university gym. They were having a member appreciation day so it was totally free! (And I found out that they do free testing once a month on specific days.)

They used the skin fold test, but it was more technically advanced than I had seen before. Everything was computerized, except I still had to have a person physically pinch me with calipers. He pinched every spot twice to determine the best estimate.

And guess what?!? My body fat has decreased by quite a bit since the last time I had it tested a few years ago! While I've only lost a few pounds since then, my fitness level has dramatically increased. Since then I have re-committed myself to running and I have been doing some hard core strength training a few times a week. So even though my weight hasn't changed that much, my body fat has.

While your weight is a decent determinant of health risks, it isn't the only measure. You may weigh more than your thin friend, but still have a lower body fat % of be more fit. Even if that is not the case, knowing your BMI and body fat percentage arms you with additional ways to track your diet and fitness progress. Conversely, they can serve as a warning sign that you may be putting your health at risk.

And no, I'm not telling what my numbers are, nor will I ask yours. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment